Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The King and I

It has been such a long time since I've posted. Our lives have been just a tad bit hectic. Most of you have heard by now that the two older girls and I participated in the play THE KING AND I this winter.

It was once again a wonderful experience and I believe the girls truly love being part of community theater. This year was a little harder on our family overall as compared to Cori participating in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST last year. They were on stage more and thereby had to attend a lot more practices. I also have learned that some years are simply more intense than others by virtue of the story being told.

This was Cassi's first year and I think she fell in love with the experience also. Both girls are already talking about what the play might be next winter and whether or not they will make the cut. They are also hoping they can participate in the children's summer theater this coming summer. It often overlaps with our soccer schedule but we've heard there may be two summer programs this year so we are keeping our finger crossed.

I ended up in the play this year by accident. I happen to read sheet music and ended being on stage for a very small part playing finger cymbals. The opportunity was fun but I think I will stick to being a stage mom until the girls are old enough to do their own hair and makeup. doing tight little buns and makeup on three was a little hard to manage and nerve wracking at times.

I also think Cali would like to hang around more and being in the show kind of takes away that opportunity since she would be left backstage alone. She is determined she will have a place in the show next year!

Here are a few pictures of the girls in costume. I suppose I forgot to mention they were servants to the king and his wives in the show. They were also in the ballet chorus singing for Uncle Tom's Cabin; the ballet piece that is so important to the show. They both are fine tuning their voices and seem to show some talent in that regard. Their instructor tells me me they show gifts in music, voice etc., etc., etc.

There were a few friends from school who were also in the show as was their music instructor, who sort of ended up being in it by accident like me. I really got to know her a litte better and I think the girls made new friends too.

Hope you enjoy the photos.





No comments: