Monday, July 14, 2008

Unplug your Kids-Cali's unplanned idea

I have mentioned often here lately my obsession with the amazing ideas I've found reading the plethora of blogs on the internet.

Well I recently stumbled upon a wonderful site called unplug your kids. It fascinates me. The premise is to take a moment, get away from the tv and every other thing that consumes our daily lives and pay attention to what is most important. I suppose I took from it that I could use the idea offered on the site once a week to open a dialog with the girls. I expect it will allow them to create ideas of their own that fit with in the idea and on their terms. I talked to the girls about it and we were very excited to begin this week. The idea or theme of the week was stone. Cori came up with a very specific idea she wanted to do however it turned out we returned from Anchorage far to late to get it done. We intend to head right out tomorrow to get it done but in the mean time the most wonderful (to this mom) thing happened.

Like we do on most trips home from Anchorage, we stopped at the boardwalk in Cooper Landing to stretch and let the girls run around by the water. Cali has been talking about it since yesterday and was really looking forward to it. It was a little cool so she didn't seem in a rush to take her shoes off and get her feet wet but when she got down to the river's edge she quickly got involved in a original project of her own.

She was collecting things like she often does but this time she started setting them out on a larger rock and telling me a sort of story. She was rambling on about the ocean and a boat. When I finally realized she was quite intent on having me pay attention, low and behold she had created quite a piece of art.




Now looking at this photo one might not be clear about what she'd created. Here however is what she had to tell me. She said there was an ocean and there was a boat in it. There was some seaweed floating in that ocean and a couple of small logs. Along that ocean was a house that had a nice lawn and even some beautiful flowers all about. There was a snake and it was lying near the house. There was some mud and a rock not too far from the ocean. And there was a very tall tree to over look it all. Now, take a second look and see it through her eyes. I thought all of this was very clever for a 3 1/2 year old. (It should be mentioned that she basically did this on her own until Cori got a little caught up with what Cali was doing and started to try and help.) Cali cut her off rather quickly and kept the ideas her own. She also packed up this art to bring home when it was time to go.



I am thinking this truly fits the bill for our very first unplugged stone contribution. What do you think? Art on a stone works, right?

Grins to all of you, and get unplugged. This next weeks idea is glass, will you all do it with us? Check out the site I mentioned and think about it. Better yet, do it.

Love to you all.
PS-remember to click the photos to enlarge them.

12 comments:

Michie said...

Welcome to the Unplugged Projects! They can be a bit addicting. :) Yours definetly fits the bill - and sounds like you have a very creative little one!

So Smrt said...

Some of my favorite times with my E are when she tells me stories. And your little one even had visual aids! :) I love the snake.

Garden State Kate said...

Welcome to the group project!
We have a lot of fun with these.
My P also likes to tell stories
this way...lovely picture!

Gottfredsen said...

Your daughter is very creative. That is a beautiful piece of art that she created.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Welcome to the unplugged projects :) Your daughter is very creative, I just love it when they can create stuff out of nature, it's amazing what they can come up with!
Nature Mama
www.homeschoolblogger.com/NatureNotesFromAbove

togetherforgood said...

What a wonderfully creative young lady you have there! :) I'm always amazed at what they come up with when we let them lead the way!

Welcome to unplugged projects! This was only my second week and I love it! :)

http://princessofsomething.wordpress.com

Ad said...

Totally creative! This is only my second project too.

iMother2.0 said...

SO simple and SO creative! I spent a while showing my daughter the drawing on the rock. She was mesmerized

Christie said...

Oh My gosh. You all are so kind. It has been such a fun experience reading everyone's comments. Thank you so much for the warm welcome; I can't wait to do it again. :-)

Julie K in Taiwan said...

Lovely design she's created, and we like the commentary that goes along with it. My daughter Jaylene really likes to brainstorm on what we can do for the weekly theme too.

http://www.juliekintaiwan.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I love the Unplugged projects too. I especially love perusing other moms' blogs like yours! When I'm reading the posts, I want to comment on all of them, but I hear the tick-tick-tick... :P

Lisa said...

Gorgeous and brilliant! I would be proud too.
lisa