Monday, May 04, 2009

YUM!

Trust me that you should try this recipe. I guarantee you will enjoy it and it is healthy too! It's a can't lose situation. Holly, our long time family friend passed this recipe on to me. Evidently her sister and nephew came up with this after eating something like it at a restaurant a year or so ago. I have changed it up a bit to suit us and everyone that has ever tried it, LOVE'S IT!

I call it FIESTA SALSA DIP because of the colorful look to it.
My kids are somewhat picky eaters when it comes to vegetables however they too love this dip.

Here goes:
1 green bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 onion (I use red)
1 bag of coleslaw mix with carrots
1 bunch cilantro
I lemon
sliced jalapenos in juice
olive oil
red wine vinegar
Use a food chopper or your blender to shred each bell pepper, the onion and I also run the bag of cabbage through . Some people I know leave the cabbage mix like it comes but I like the consistency smaller and more uniform.
Pull all the leaves off the cilantro stems and shred those as well. Combine all of those in a large bowl.
Cut your lemon in half, remove seeds and squeeze well over all of the vegetables.
Add approximately 3 tablespoons of Olive oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar; mix well. This part is mostly to your own taste. I like the dip to be a wetter consistency; you may like it drier. After I add the Olive oil and vinegar I add about 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapenos and a little of the juice from the jar. Add this part slowly. If you add too much it takes away from the dip. By the same token, don't leave them out. They add something that is missed when you leave them out. All you need is a little.
Lastly I add the smallest bit of garlic salt.
Serve with dip chips.
(I had a friend take some leftovers I had and she added them to her eggs too. She said it was awesome.)

No comments: