Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I am proud of this one

Not too long ago I went to a party. While there, I was popping off a bottle cop and decided I like the look of it and stashed it in my pocket. The friend saw me and laughed. We chatted a little about it and I told her I wasn't sure what I'd do with it but if she saved them for me, I was sure I'd come up with something. So far I haven't done anything with those, mostly because I think I need more, but I'll get around to it!

Before I left the party, I also managed to salvage a glass bottle from the trash. Again, the teasing began and again, I wasn't really sure what I'd do with it but I knew I'd think of something.

This friend has had a bit of a rough year, losing her husband to leukemia. Her second child is leaving for college and she turned 50. (That's not a bad thing but big news just the same.)

When I left with the bottle I decided I would make her something and leave it for her on the porch and see if she recognized it in it's new state. I finally finished it last night and here it is.

This started as a bottle of Chambord. The cap is a heavy metal cap in the shape of a crown. Amongst my friends, when a woman turns 50, she's becomes the queen! So I imagined that crown as the queen's crown.

I decided to drill a small hole in it and use it as a charm.

I debated last night as to what kind of flower to put in the vase. In the end, I gather twigs and sticks from the beach. And made my own, quilled flowers that I attached with hot-glue.

I love it's simplicity. I adore the fact that I made something lovely, in my own opinion I suppose, from the trash and kept one thing from the landfill. And I feel as though I truly expressed the philosophy I live by.


~for every person, every moment, every thing, there is a purpose~

*Edit-
Look... how lucky am I?
Yep, 1st place and Division champion. :)
Pretty Cool I'd say. What I love most is what the judge had to say.
"This is a very visually strong piece. The asymmetry relationship between bottle and branch is beautiful!"
Awww, isn't that sweet! :) Course I may have been the only person in my division for all I know but the ribbon is pretty. HA!

No comments: