Sunday, January 02, 2011

Out With the Old, Wishes for New

This post came a tad bit late because things were just not working out for us.

Here in the Holmes House, we've had a rough couple weeks. Tensions have been high and telling you of stressful situations would be an understatement.

New Years Eve, I came up with a plan. I gave each girl two small pieces of paper. On one they were to write anything about 2010 they would like to let go of. If there was anything they were carrying in their heart they no longer wanted there, they were to write it down. On the other paper they were to write any wishes they had for 2011.

I envisioned taking these to the beach right near our house prior to our New Year's Eve party. While we were shopping for party food, we popped our papers into balloons at the store and asked them to blow them up. They were silver and shiny. Perfect for New Year's.

Then we found out Scott was barely going to make it home in time for our party and our day turned a bit upside down. We never made it to the beach. The party was a success but...by the first morning of 2011, our balloons were no more. They were lying on the floor of the kitchen with no life to them at all.

So, new plan, we'd go get new balloons (the kids opted for colorful this time) and get it done on the 1st day of the New Year but...we had friends that had spent the night and they stayed most of the day. By the time they left if was pretty dark (4:00 pm ) and I didn't think we'd get good pictures by the time we went to get more balloons.

That brings us to today, where we finally made it to the beach. It was still late but I was determined to get this done prior to school starting back up again. It took forever to get the balloons filled today. I think they lady at the store was stalling for time- it must have been almost time for her to leave. Since one thing I'd wished for for 2011 was more patience, I had to bite my tongue!  But...in the 30 minutes or more I was in the store, the sun went down, way down!

Finally we made it to the beach, kind of dark and VERY windy and cold. Such is Alaska life.

I imagine we will do this again next year. I could sense it was a positive moment for the girls, writing those things down. We all needed it!  Scott even decided to join us and jotted down his own list today before we left for the store.



Cali counted us down, 3...2...1! We let go! And all that stress and frustration was flying away! Thank goodness.  Dreams for the New Year were swirling above us.



I am looking forward to this New Year. There are things I'd like to accomplish, prepare and enjoy! And I wish for only peace and happiness (oh and patience! :). For you too!


Blessings to all of you in 2011!

And only for the sake of showing you what I am blessed with...what makes me smile...

No comments: